JUPITER, Fla. -- Kyle Jensen belted the game-winning, two-run home run in the ninth inning on Tuesday, but on Wednesday morning, the slugger was optioned to Triple-A New Orleans.
The Marlins' decision was made before Jensen's dramatic shot to beat the Red Sox, 5-4, on Tuesday in Fort Myers, Fla. Jensen was one of 12 players sent down in the first wave of cuts, leaving 56 in camp.
Before heading to Minor League camp, Jensen gained some notice by displaying the power that he has exhibited throughout his professional career. Although he is now preparing to open the season at New Orleans, Jensen could make his way back to the big leagues, if he produces.
"This guy has a got a lot of pop," manager Mike Redmond said. "He's hit a ton of home runs in the Minor Leagues. I think it was fun to finally see that translate in an at-bat in the big leagues.
"A guy with a bat like that, if he hits, you'll find a spot for him. The more options he has defensively, the better. For us and for him as well."
Jensen has 101 career Minor League home runs, including 28 last year between Double-A Jacksonville and New Orleans. He's primarily been used in the outfield. The Marlins want Jensen to also work at first base.
"We've talked all spring about versatility and moving guys around at different positions," Redmond said. "He's going to continue to work at first base as well."
Along with Jensen, the Marlins also sent down several of their projected starting rotation at Jacksonville, including Justin Nicolino, Anthony DeSclafani, and Jose Urena.
Michael Brady was optioned to New Orleans. Angel Sanchez, Urena, Brent Keys, Grant Dayton and J.T. Realmuto were optioned to Jacksonville.
DeSclafani, Nicolino, Jesus Sanchez, Colby Suggs and Avery Romero were reassigned to Minor League camp.
Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. He writes a blog, called The Fish Pond. Follow him on Twitter