PHOENIX -- Chris Coghlan saw a spine specialist on Monday in Dallas and the doctor confirmed that the 27-year-old won't need surgery on his injured back. Instead, the Marlins outfielder, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list on June 9, will treat the injury with rest.
"He's just going to take time," Marlins manager Mike Redmond said. "He'll take it easy and then resume baseball activities. I don't know how long that'll be, I don't have a time frame, it just depends on how he feels."
Even though the Marlins still don't know how much time Coghlan will miss, Redmond was relieved the injury isn't as bad as it could have been.
"You just never know," Redmond said. "Now, it's just a matter of it calming down. He says he feels good, though, I talked to him."
Coghlan had been hot at the plate before getting hurt, batting .343 (23-for-67) with four runs and nine RBIs in 73 plate appearances since May 18.
Tyler Emerick is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.